Sunday, December 18, 2011

Little Fishes Swim School

Last Wednesday I had the pleasure of being invited to my first mommy blogger event, a swim meet up at Little Fishes Swim School in Brentwood.  Maxsen had taken classes there this summer but we decided to take a hiatus for the winter and it was great to be back.  We have a swimming pool at our house as well as a condo at the Lake of the Ozarks, so Maxsen's water safety is a top priority for us. 

Just some quick swimming facts that I found on the Internet:

From the CDC's website: Every day, about ten people die from unintentional drowning. Of these, two are children aged 14 or younger. Drowning is the sixth leading cause of unintentional injury death for people of all ages, and the second leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 14 years.
Click the link for more information on water risks.

Here's a link to some children pool safety tips to follow.  Pool Safety Tips

I feel like one of the best things I can do is teach not only Max but myself how to keep both of us safe in the water, and swimming lessons are the first step.  Plus, it's fun!  Who doesn't like to have fun?!

sliding down the ramp
swimming to the fish before pancakes
We started the event by chatting with the other Bloggers and playing with all the cool toys they have in the waiting room.  Then it was time to swim!  I could tell Maxsen remembered the process of getting ready in the changing room but once we got to the pool it was a different story.  He was a little scared of getting in without me, but once I was in with him he warmed up to the situation again.   We did our island work, pancakes, and even went underwater (which I stated earlier that day I wasn't going to let him do but we got caught up in the moment and I knew he would be fine with it) .   He took to it like, well, fish to water!  HA HA I AM A COMEDIAN! 

Once class was over and we got dried off, we had snacks and chatted some more (we are women you know) and then painted some fishies.  Played, swam, painted fishies, had snacks, a one year olds little slice of heaven.  Click here for Little Fishes Blog.

After the event was over I realized how much we missed the class.  Swimming is so important to us given our situation and seeing how much Maxsen really loves it, I cannot wait to go back.  Swim lessons are not only a fun activity, but a life lesson as well.   Spring, hurry up!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding us of the importance of water safety and that children respond best when it is taught in an fun, developmentally appropriate way.

    ReplyDelete